Menu

18th Century

Costumes for Sale

I am such a sporadic blogger that I don’t know if anyone is even still reading along.  However, I am selling off some of the sample pieces I’ve featured here, and I wanted to spread the word to anyone still following.  Time to clean out the closets and make room for new projects! NOTE: Most
+ Read More

Progress!

The black silk petticoat is finally completely sewn, and is now just awaiting the remaining ribbon embellishment. Such a relief! It has been put aside temporarily so that I can work on other things. Up next: late Victorian wear for 3, due in 3 weeks.  Yes, that is panic you hear. I’m not entirely sure
+ Read More

Two steps forward, and one back

Two steps forward, and one back

I locked myself out of the sewing studio for a few days, which meant no sewing at all aside from some hand-sewing I had in the house.  I finally had more keys made and a long weekend home alone, so I designated it an all-sewing weekend, and invited over a couple of friends. My plan
+ Read More

Shoes!

We have been eagerly awaiting the pre-order for the American Duchess Devonshire shoes.  We really lusted after the Georgianas, but satin and the frequently wet Seattle didn’t seem like a good match.  Most of our events are out-of-doors, so we waited.  And now it’s time! From the American Duchess page: The Devonshires are a leather 18th century shoe based on museum
+ Read More

Croquet in Costume

We played  in a charity croquet game on Sunday, and the teams were encouraged to wear costumes.  Uhh… OK!   Here’s the team in 18th century garb, including the newly finished court suit.  Yes, Chris is a bit overdressed for croquet, but everyone loved it.   A shot, upon our arrival at the croquet field:
+ Read More

Court suit – putting it all together

Court suit – putting it all together

Sorry, this is a long post without any pretty pictures.  I was hurrying along to finish the coat, and didn’t have much time to take pictures of the progress. I finally had the nerve to pull out all the pieces of the court suit coat and figure out where I had gone wrong.  When I
+ Read More

18th century frolicking

Last week was a flurry of sewing. We had an 18th century event that was fast approaching, and a client’s project that just would not go together right kept pushing off my personal sewing time. In the end, I did manage to get everyone clothed, even if it meant a severe lack of sleep for
+ Read More

In the studio

In the studio

There is lots going on in the studio right now, but no pictures – yet. – I just finished sawing, sanding, padding, and covering one of the foam display forms to be a fairly accurate body double for myself. The finished form looks like it should work for both modern and historic garments. I tried
+ Read More

DPP – Coat Progress and Decisions

Parts of the coat are coming along nicely: The fronts and back vents are embroidered, pocket flaps spangled and assembled, sleeves cut and sewn, cuffs embroidered, lining cut and sewn. Most of the major pieces are there. That said, it’s really not ready for assembly. The DPP deadline is looming, and even with as close
+ Read More

DPP – Waistcoat

The waistcoat for the DPP is finished. Here’s a recap of some of the steps along the way. First the pattern was drafted, mocked up, and fitted. Once the pattern was right, I started arranging the embroidery files to fit the pattern exactly. I ended up using a sprig and rosebud as a border, with
+ Read More

1 2 3 4 5